Thursday, August 18, 2011

When Satan Attacks

Sometimes when things are going fine and dandy, and that nothing better could come our way- Satan attacks our spirits with doubt and fear.

Yesterday, I experienced that exact feeling. The day started out great! Woke up just when I wanted to, had my quiet time with God, and even got a few things done before having to get the little ones up.

But it wasn't until I left for an outing with a friend that Satan took charge. . . .
In more than one way.

See, I was supposed to meet with a friend at 1, and then at last minute plans got changed to 2. I ended up having to cancel this outing with my friend and venture out with my mom to a doctor appt. with the grandparents. At first, knowing that my friend would be understanding I had no doubt in canceling. Then after I got off the phone with this friend, is when he attacked! My friend has a severe sin addiction that I will not mention, here or ever- and when I hung up I had this sudden fear and feeling that my friend was going to fall into this foot hold that she's been so hard trying to get away from. All that said, I prayed, and had this peace come over me that everything would be okay! And I believe it is.

Later that day, after getting back to my grandparents house from their appt., Satan attacked me again!

As I was sitting on the couch at my grandparents house satan was working on me. I was fine. The day was already going well again. And then BAM! It happened. I was attacked with doubt, envy, fear and roller coaster emotions. I became weary of the unknown. As we got in the car to head back home mom and I started discussing these feelings and understand why I was having them.
When you have in your heart a certain desire, and that desire is not in your hands, or at arms length, you begin to have this doubt.

I was in this spiritual warfare the whole way home! Thoughts of, 'its going to be okay', then thoughts of, 'gosh! Its going all wrong!' Back to peace in my heart, then back to the storm. I couldn't just let God win!

I think sometimes God allows us to have this feeling of urgency in our hearts so that we call out to Him. He doesn't want us to have doubt or fear, and He wouldn't place that feeling within us.- But when our eyes aren't on Him, Satan will get you.

Matt. 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

I didn't even take refuge in this bible verse. I didn't even think to call out to God until really late at night. Why? Because Satan had me!

Romans 12:21 "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

Again! All I could do was think on the things that were burdening my heart. I did not overcome the evil with the good of God and calling His name. Because, truth be told, I think sometimes we just don't want to. We(and Satan) WANT to meditate on the things that get us down. We don't have the DESIRE or WANT to take refuge in Gods hands. Its a battle.

Galatians 5:16-17 So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.

Uhm, yeah...WOW! I wasn't living by the spirit. I was living in the sinful nature and gratifying the flesh. After you get over yourself you realize and KNOW that what you want is to just let it go, and to give it to God, but you couldn't do that because the evil one was working on your heart.

Satan doesn't want us to be praising God. He doesn't want us to be in peace. He doesn't want us to have the JOY of the LORD in our HEARTS. Because HE wants our hearts! He want's US! The very moment we feel him taking over is when we need to stop, and say 'be gone with you satan! You have no room in my heart.' If we don't, we begin to meditate on these things and you start to have this sappy heart and joy is not present. I know this because I've been there! I've been down that road!

Sometimes people think that because things are going all fine they don't need to call on the name of the Lord as much. That praying over meals and before bed is enough. Well. Its not. We should have our eyes on God all the time, and be meditating on Him always. When things are going well is when we need to be calling out to Him the most. We're not growing in Him when we're in trial. We're growing in Him when we think its enough. The thing is, its never enough. But, Gods grace is enough. Don't let yourself get to that point that God has to bring on a trial just so that you call out His name.

James 1:12-15 "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death"

James 4:7-8 "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded."

Let God lead you. Let Him be the door keeper of your heart.
Rise above the evil one.

It is not easy for me to say this to myself all the time(easier said than done, right?) but I try. Is God the leader of my life? Absolutely. Is He the door keeper of my hear? You bet!

May we, even in our spiritual warfare trials, shine for Jesus!
I pray that each and every one of you have a very blessed weekend!

God Bless,
Mandie

"..All the way my savior leads me.."

6 comments:

  1. Great post... *heart check* !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jessie!
    A heart check indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lisa. :)

    Thank God for our trials and holding our hands and walking us through them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Post Mandie! What a joy to see how the Lord is teaching you. I was listening to Revive Our Heart the other day and this exact topic was being shared. You and your mom would really enjoy the speaker. The date of the message was Aug. 29 & 30. The names were: When A Lie Knocks On Your Door & Destructive Thoughts. I highly recommend listening...they are so encouraging and there is a special detail about the speaker that is not shared until the end that will amaze you at what God does! Enjoy! Continue to Love God Greatly! Blessings Mrs. G.....ps. Give you're mom a big hug for me :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Mrs. G!
    I listened, very good. Thank you for recommending and sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete